Ad Spot

From our files, July 30

100 YEARS AGO — 1921

The show windows of Foley’s grocery store on Main Street are attracting much attention. In one of the windows is a 100-pound sack of sugar and 24 pounds of flour with the statement “What $30 would buy a year ago.” In the other window are a 100-pound sack of sugar, 24-pound sack of flour and nearly a wagon load of other things with the statement, “What $30 will buy today.” This is a practical demonstration of the drop in prices of food products and the lowering of the costs of living. The Foley store is right up to date when it comes to showing the public the great service it is rendering. The windows are the talk of the town.

From the Wanted Ads: Lost – big brass key to Second Presbyterian Church; Wanted – 500 men and women to buy furniture, rugs, stoves, etc. at Danville Furniture Company; Found – Danville High School class pin from 1918.

One feature of the picnic given last week by the boys of Perryville Band was how generous merchants were in donating prizes for the athletic contests that were held on the fair grounds. These were for both old and young, but the boys and girls responded so readily the older folk had to take a back seat. The first event was a hop, skip and jump. The $2 prize was won by Walden Spencer. Miss Eleanor Harberson won the girls running race and received 50 cents and 50 cents in trade at a store. She also won the girl ball tossing contest and won 50 cents in trade at another store. The boys running race was won by Ira Norvell who received a soft shirts. The boys broad jump contest was won by Gravely Thorpe, which carried a prize of a $3 tie. The last event was a free for all race for a $5 shirt donated by the Hub department store. This was won by “Red” Gammon, our fleet footed chief of police.

75 YEARS AGO — 1946

Not available

50 YEARS AGO — 1971

The corner of Second and Main streets in Danville, formerly the location of a filling station, is one of several Urban Renewal properties which will soon be available for downtown parking under arrangements worked out with the city government, the Urban Renewal Commission and the Chamber of Commerce.

Miss Shirley Anne Walker, of Memphis, Tennessee has been appointed to the Centre College faculty as an instructor in French. She is the first black faculty member to be employed at Centre.

Danville High School senior, Mary Frances Rowzee has been crowned the new Danville-Boyle County Fair Queen. His the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Rowzee of Crosshill Road and was chosen as queen from among 12 entries in a contest at the fair at Inter-County RECC. She will represent Boyle County in the state fair queen contest in Louisville in January. Runner-up was Jana Young, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Young of Lincoln Avenue.

The Boyle county Marching Band, accompanied by the banner corps, gun corps, majorettes and flag girls have traveled to Hemlock Band Camp at Carrollton. The students, under the leadership of Charles White, hope to acquire their second consecutive trophy for Best All Around Band. About 60 students are attending the band camp.

Joseph N. Frankel Jr. has contracted to purchase all the real estate of the old Danville Laundry and Dry Cleaning Company on Third Street in downtown Danville. The office building was recently damaged by fire, and the property extends north to the office of Durham and Durham Insurance Company. It extends west to the workhouse property and the county lot occupied by the Boyle County Courthouse. On the south side, it is bordered by the backs of several buildings on Main Street. Frankel said he will not be able to immediately disclose his plans for further use of the property.

Boyle County Schools has adopted its first dress code. For the boys, shirt tails made to be worn inside trousers must be worn in trousers; shirts must be buttoned; vest type of shirts will not be permitted and shirt and jacket sleeves must not be cut off. Also, hair must be worn above the ears, collar and eyebrows, sideburns may be no longer than lower part of ear lobe, no beards or goatees, but well-trimmed mustaches no wider than the mouth will be permitted. Also, no shorts or Bermudas will be allowed above the third grade. For girls: they may wear slacks in grades 1-6; pant suits, consisting of slacks, vests, jacket or tunic top will be allowed for girls in grades 7-12; dresses, culottes and scooter skirts may be worn if they are no shorter than mid-thigh and not offensive when the wearer is seated. No shorts or Bermudas are allowed.

25 YEARS AGO — 1996

The Perryville Enhancement Project purchased the gasoline station on the corner of U.S. 150 West and U.S. 68 South. The purchase was completed after 25 months of negotiations with owner Foster “Frog” Barnes, and other people who had an interest in the property. The purchase of the “community eyesore” was considered critical to the project.

Pushing people off welfare and into work will prove a difficult challenge in Kentucky’s 49 Appalachian counties, where nearly 1 in 12 people receives aid, experts say. A bill recently passed by Congress sets a lifetime limit of five years on welfare and requires able-bodied people to engage in work activities within two years.

Old Crow Inn, a 212-year-old structure that is one of the oldest existing stone houses in the state and home of Danville’s founder, will be auctioned on Saturday. The property includes the two-story, 5,000-square-foot Greek Revival house, a log cabin, tenant house and 26 rolling acres highlighted by a pond and formal herb and rose gardens. When the landmark is sold, the buyer will be only the sixth owner of the property. According to various histories, the original owner of Old Crow Inn was John Crow, who came to Harrodsburg with James Harrod and his group of three dozen “adventurers” from Pennsylvania in 1774. Crow founded Crow’s Station at Town Spring, which later became Danville. In 1781, Crow sold the property to James Wright, and Wright sold it shortly afterward to Gen. Thomas Barbee who started the stone house in 1784. Col. Joshua Barbee later finished it in the Greek Revival style. The Barbee family sold the property in 1899 to the Adams family. Mary Adams turned a portion of the house into an inn, and the family sold it to the current owner, Doris Moore in 1992.

News

The Bluegrass Area Development District announces continued partnership with Joanie Bernard Foundation for Bluegrass Cat Project

News

Wilderness Trail Distillery Charity Chili Cook Off benefits children and senior citizens

Education

The Danville Schools superintendent is resigning — what happens now?

News

Marching Rebels compete at Madison Southern Marching Eagle Classic

News

Activities continue at the library

News

Covid-19 is killing 40 Kentuckians a day

News

Flags at half-staff Friday to honor victims lost to COVID

News

On the front lines
National Guard helping out at EMRMC

News

Conditional use permit approved for all-inclusive special needs playground facility

News

Beshear recognizes National Recovery Month; See connected video here

News

Business licenses issued: August

News

Ephraim McDowell James B. Haggin Hospital nurse recognized for extraordinary service

News

Local health leaders share COVID experiences

News

Heart of Danville facade grant returns

News

Harbor Freight Tools signs deal to open new location in Danville

News

Danville Independent Schools superintendent to resign

News

Kentucky program, first of its kind in the nation, makes it less risky for employers to hire people with substance-use disorder

Education

Centre hosts ‘150-mile dinner’; next event is set for Oct. 21

Features

An international juried exhibition of contemporary still life opens at the Art Center of the Bluegrass

News

Danville-Boyle County Humane Society to hold microchipping clinic

News

Videos: DPD asking for assistance identifying subject involved in theft

Boyle County

‘Everything has a purpose’

News

Wilderness Trail Distillery Charity Chili Cook-Off benefits children and senior citizens

News

Danville police work multi-vehicle crash